Get Help



This office administers Matagorda County HELPLINE. The MCUW HELPLINE is a free and confidential bilingual information and referral service available for all citizens of Matagorda & Wharton Counties. Governor Ann Richards designated Matagorda County United Way as the county hub for Information and Referral during her reign as Governor of the State of Texas. This program has trained staff and/or Senior Texan Employment Program (STEP) workers referring clients, based on their need, to the appropriate agency (United Way and non-funded organizations), State, Federal or Civic organization who can best help meet their need. The HELPLINE continues to receive an average of 250-300 calls per month for social service inquiries.

See Directory of Health & Human Service Organizations for a list of local services.


Matagorda County United Way
2417 Ave G
PO Box 972
Bay City, TX 77404-0972
Phone: 979.245.5852


2-1-1 Texas, a program of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission, is committed to helping Texas citizens connect with the services they need. Whether by phone or internet our goal is to present accurate, well-organized and easy-to-find information from over 60,000 state and local health and human services programs.

When you dial 2-1-1, select a language, then choose:

  • Option 1: for information on services available in your area, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week throughout the year. Information is available in more than 90 languages. Calls are answered by HHSC 2-1-1 Texas Information and Referral Network.
  • Option 2: for information on state benefits ( Available Monday thru Friday from 8 am to 8 pm. Calls are answered by HHSC Office of Eligibility Services.
  • Option 3: to report waste, fraud, and abuse (Report). Available Monday thru Friday from 8 am to 5 pm. Calls are answered by HHSC Office of the Inspector General.

If you are calling from outside of Texas, or have technical difficulties when dialing 2-1-1 from your cell/mobile, voice-over-IP, or office location phone, please dial our toll-free alternate access number at 1-877-541-7905.